ARTWORK: THE OFFICE FOR CREATIVE RESEARCH SPOTLIGHT (NOA YOUNSE), BAND, PRELIMINARY VISUALIZATION
For years now I have been following the extraordinary work of IDEO. Their processes are quite fascinating, especially their work around "Human Centered Design". If you are interested check out their "Fieldguide to Human Centered Desig". You can nab this free resource as a PDF download from their DesignKit website. So, the concepts of "design thinking" have been around for a while. With this recent article by Jon Kolko he brings the conversation forward and explains how influential and important this methodology is today's modern busiess. Some key take-aways...
What is a design centric culture?
- Focus on users’ experiences, especially their emotional ones.
- Create models to examine complex problems.
- Use prototypes to explore potential solutions.
- Tolerate failure.
- Exhibit thoughtful restraint.
What Types of Companies Are Making This Change?
- IBM: IBM Design Studio
- GE Healthcare: Changing Experiences through Empathy – The Adventure Series
- Samsung: How Samsung Became a Design Powerhouse
What Are the Challenges?
- Accepting more ambiguity.
- Embracing risk.
- Resetting expectations.
Check out the full article here on the Harvard Business Review website: https://hbr.org/2015/09/design-thinking-comes-of-age
Also, if you would like to dig further, check out Jon Kolko's book "Well Designed: How to use empathy to create products people love"